Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Reply

A friend of mine posted these things below as quantifiers of a desi or asian. You can read her excellent post here. I thought it would be fun if I answered these as a way to get to know each other. Here go my own comments on each point. If you guy's arent the sorta people who guard their personal lives like they are a sacred testament from God, then pass these around and add comments as they apply to you. It's a good way to know one another and their backgrounds (I think).

* Your house smells like fried onions. -- Nope it smells like normal.
*When you tell your parents you got 98%, and they ask you what happened to the other two percent. -- True, So true.
* There is a sale on any item, you buy 100 of them. -- Nope. Depends on the item really. If it's, CD-RW Discs, then yea. If it's a sack of potatoes, no.
* You make tea in a saucepan.-- Who does that honestly? DO THEY really do that? :|
* You never buy bin bags, but use your saved grocery bags for it.-- Ditto
* You put your clothes in suitcases instead of wardrobes. -- Always
* You call an older person you've never met before "uncle". -- True
* You hide everything from your parents. -- On the contrary, I tell them everything. Always been open and frank with my parents. No barriers whatsoever.
* Your mother does everything for you if you are male. -- I tend to do it myself. She is my mother so she wants to do things, But then she would have done the same if I had a sister.
*You do all the housework and cooking if you are female.-- My mom and dad do both together and I do it too.
* Your relatives alone could populate a small city.-- Yes
* You study law, medicine or engineering at university. -- Definately.
* You were thick so you studied computer science or business instead.-- No I love computers but granted.
* You went to a university as far away from home as possible. -- Yes
* You still came back home to live with your parents after you had finished. -- Havent finished but will. Gotta keep em with me always InshAllah.
* Your best friend got married at the age of 18. -- Never had a best friend. Only close friend I have is still unmarried. Poor sod.
* You know no one who has studied music. -- I know 3 who study Music.
* You use chilli sauce instead of tomato ketchup. -- Hot Damn true :D
* You fight over who pays the dinner bill. -- Sometimes depending on circumstances and the person.
* You say you hate Indian films(/songs) but secretly watch(/hear) them with your parents. -- I just had to reply to this and its false in my case. My parents dont watch Indian movies either.. (Note: I am Kashmiri to the core).
* You teach Westerners swearwords in your language.-- Only to male westerners.
* You order Indian food in your own language to impress the people you're with but the waiters don't understand you. -- Indian Food? :). I order Pakistani food in my own language and the waiter better understand it if I am in a Desi resturant lol.
* You avoid public places when with a member of the opposite sex, especially if there is an acquaintance within a 250 miles radius. -- No, I act normal.
* You always say "open the light" instead of "turn the light on". -- I had a 272 Computer Based Toefl Score and a 530/700 in the GRE English Section lol. I say it with turn the light on :D.
* You secure your baggage with a rope. -- Normal Zipper works fine.
* You're walking out of customs with your trolley at the airport and you see all twenty-five members of your family who have come to pick you up. -- Yes. LOVE.. They love me over there :_).
* You get very upset when airlines refuse to accept your luggage which is just 80 lbs. overweight.-- Mine is always 5 pounds to 10 pounds and I end up paying 200 Dollars for it but I get it on the plane :).
* You go back to your parents' country and people treat you like a member of the royal family. -- True, but then my grandfather is a Supreme Court Judge in Azad Kashmir and respected.
* You ask your dad a simple question and he tells you story of how he had to walk miles barefoot just to get to school. -- Only because it's the truth :). God bless them for doing that so we could earn a decent education today and live in comfort.
*(For females) Your brother had no curfew while you had to be home at 11pm -- Mom tells the same story lol. In my family men and women are equal.
* When you were little you always wondered why your English friends waited until after breakfast to brush their teeth when you did it first thing in the morning -- I did it after breakfast too.
* To your English friends, oil is used purely for cooking and not as a grooming aid -- I never used oil as gromming aid.
* Your parents have nicknames but only because people they work with just stop when trying to read their names -- My dad and mom don't have nicknames.
* You have annoying nicknames like Chotu or Chicku -- I had a quite Imposing one :). It was "Beta"
* Your parents drink 6 cups of tea a day -- Dad drinks tea more true.
* Your parents call all your friends "Beta" (son) whether they are PAK or not -- LOL No.
* Your parents push the concept of an arranged marriage on you and try to demonstrate how well it works whenever they're not fighting. -- No. I have freedom to do what I wish in relation to marriage as long as the girl is Ahle Kitab (Christian, Jew, Muslim).
* Your parents compare you to all of their friends' kids. -- Yes and i love it when I come out on top. It's a great feeling, honestly.
* At least once a week your mom says, "I want to go to India/Pakistan/Sri lanka" -- No.
* No one ever seems to call ahead of time to say they are coming over for a visit. -- They always call.
* Your parents worry what other people will think if you're not going to be a doctor/ lawyer/ engineer. -- Nope.
Filed In: [ | | | | | | ]

No comments:

Post a Comment