Saturday, December 10, 2005

Lying on the Internet.. An Analysis

Today, I wanna talk about a common and much too obvious phenomenon rampant on the internet. Lying. Sure we lie everyday in real life infront of people and sometimes we do it with so much abondon and disregard, that we forget we are sinning. But that is not what this post is about. This is about lying on the internet. Sure if you ask someone who does lie, he or she will never admit it to you. Their answer is more along the lines of "how can you trust anyone on the internet, for all I know, you could be lying too". See denial. I can safely say that I haven't lied to anyone in real or on the internet, for that matter, for a long time. Why you might ask ?. Well because the saying that God is closer to you than your shahrag or life vein, is actually quite true. Here are the reasons why I think lying on the internet is the same as lying in real life. Some might not agree with me but I tell them to do read this post and think about it:

1. Actions have their basis on Will. In Urdinglish this is "Aemal ka Daromadar Niyyaton par hay" meaning your actions are based on your intentions. So if you lie in cyberspace, it is you, the person wanting to lie, knowingly, even if it is cyberspace. As such God doesn't really make a distinction of lying in real or cyberspace because the thought and the desire to lie comes from one source. The human himself/herself.

2. When you lie, irregardless of if someone else is lying or not, you destroy the common bond of trust you might have created with the person. The logic of "you could be lying too", is a fallacy and hardly is a genuine excuse to lie on your own. If you have trouble trusting someone, the best way is to say so and be done with it rather than live a lie and drag it.

3. Even if you don't believe in any form of God, your conscience has to say something to you when you lie. Only the most die hard liars and habitual I might add, have no consciential feelings when they lie.

Now as to why do people lie. Some might think it appropriate that they can lie here without getting caught. Heck cyberspace is known for its anonymity. Girls acting a guys and guys acting as girls. It's all a very sordid affair. Heck in PC games that let me play as a girl character, if I wanted to, I still haven't ever made a female character, it amazes me how so many men do it with wanton ease. Fooling or Playing on the internet is a crass and low game and in the end, like I said, I see so many people doing it, some are even my friends and I just hope God is merciful on them cause playing with someones emotions is a very dangerous affair. But that is a different topic which I will dissect later.
Filed In: [ | | | | ]

No comments:

Post a Comment