Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Why I Blog

A lot of people have been asking themselves the question, why do we blog, what are our reasons to blog and such, what motivates us to keep tapping at the keyboard in this cyber realm. Well I thought I would ponder on the same questions myself and tell you guys why I blog.

There have been times when I wanted to blogicide my blog and move on. I resisted the temptation to do so and stuck around with it. I stuck around because I forgot I was going to blogicide it really. Had I remembered it, you would not have been reading this post right now. But once I did come back to blogging again, I stuck around with it cuz I realised a few things. When I had started blogging, I wanted to get on the blogging bandwagon more than anything. There was a huge hoopala over it and I wanted to see what the commotion was about. That was my prime motivator for starting. But as I started blogging, I could see myself imagine other uses and advantages of blogging. When I think about the reasons as of now, these ones come to mind.

1. A blog gives you a stored repository of your own thoughts years down the line. You might one day even forget you had committed these thoughts to be written. Pleasent surprises often spring up reading your own thoughts. You might even learn a thing or two from your old posts. I know I have.

2. Writing helps your increase your own imagination and thought process. Writing, like reading books, helps us visualize.

3. A blog helps your get over an ordeal in its own way. You write about something and then you learn to overcome it. Down the line, you might be faced with the same prospect and you might find comfort in your own words it seems.

4. An added reason I started my blog was also because I realized I wanted a webspace of my own. I wanted to have an avenue where I could put my HTML and CSS coding skills to use and see the fruits of my labour. I constantly update my templates and tweak them around and play with them and hence I learn. Monkeywrenching is the best approach to learning.

5. Blogging helps me meet people I would not have in other circumstances. It helps me make myself a better person by reading their thoughts sometimes. If someone has made the mistake I have, I offer advice and if someone has made the mistake I might in the future, I try to learn from it.

In the end, a blog is like a beautiful memory book for some, a ranting place for others and a discussion forum on some specific aspect for the rest of em. It all depends on your own personal reasons. Mine are all of the previous three.
Filed In: [ | | | ]

No comments:

Post a Comment